Our Physical Therapy staff has more than 100 years of combined experience and is committed to getting you back on the road to recovery. As a staple in our community for more than 40 years, Special Medical Serivces takes great pride in providing effective, results-oriented, evidence based physical therapy services to our clients.
We offer comprehensive rehabilitation programs for people of all ages with varied problems. By offering an assortment of treatment options, Special Medical Services has the ability to successfully treat most physical therapy-related conditions from the geriatric patient to the top performing athlete. We create a tailored plan for each patient designed to improve motion, reduce pain and swelling, increase strength and endurance, restore function, and prevent re-injury.
We work closely with all area physicians but also regularly receive referrals from providers in Mason City, Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Rochestser, LaCrosee, Iowa City, Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and other large medical facilities.
Our therapists communicate regularly with your physician to keep him/her up to date on your plan of treatment and level of progress.
At Special Medical Services, we offer the following physical therapy services:
- Orthopedic Problems
- Balance and Vestibular Disorders
- Sports Injury Rehab
- Work Injury Rehab
- Gait Training
- Joint Replacement Rehab
- Other Post Surgical Rehab
Some of the more common type of problems seen in our clinic are:
- Shoulder Conditions (Rotator Cuff, Impingement Syndrome, Bursitis, Tendinitis….)
- Back and Neck Pain (Spinal Stenosis, Arthritis, Disc Problems, Whiplash, Headache, Muscle Spasm..)
- Hip, Knee, Ankle, and Foot Conditions (Sprains, Strains, Bursitis, Tendinitis, Fractures, Planter Fascitis)
- Hand, Wrist, and Elbow Conditions (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Tennis Elbow, Fractures)
- Post Surgical Rehabilitation (Total Joints, Rotator Cuff, Arthroscopic, ACL Reconstruction, Neck or Back)
- Fracture or Trauma
- Muscle Strains, Repetitive use injuries
- Neurological (Parkinson’s, Multiple Sclerosis. Stroke, Polyneuropathy…)
- Generalized Weakness due to chronic health issues
Clinical Internship Affiliations
Special Medical Services serves as a clinical instruction site for several Doctorate of Physical Therapy programs and Physical Therapist Assistant programs. Our therapists regularly provide clinical instruction and supervision to interns from the following programs:
- University of Iowa, Iowa City (Doctorate PT Program)
- Des Moines University, Des Moines (Doctorate PT Program)
- Clark College, Dubuque (Doctorate PT Program)
- St. Ambrose University, Davenport (Doctorate PT Program)
- NIACC, Mason City, Iowa (PTA Program)
- Western Iowa Technical College (PTA Program)
Special Medical Services offers a Wellness Program to all patients who have completed a formal physical therapy course of treatment or cardiac rehab program in our facility. This Wellness Program is designed for those clients who wish to continue their prescribed exercise program in an environment they are familiar with. Clients are allowed use of therapy space and equipment at designated times, three days a week, Monday through Friday. All participants are initially instructed in the proper use of the equipment and then continue on their own at their own pace. Special Medical Services staff is usually available for questions, if needed, but do not provide formal supervision.
The Wellness Program is not covered by insurance or Medicare. All partcipants will be responsible for making the required monthly cash payments.
Special Medical Services provides therapy services to the inpatients of Floyd County Medical Center. Our therapy staff works with the local physicians and other hospital professionals to ensure your rehab goals are met in a timely manner.
Each inpatient room is private, spacious, comfortable, modern, and has its own bathroom and shower.
Services are provided under two levels of care.
Acute Care - This is usually during the first 3-5 days of your stay.
Swing Bed/Skilled Nursing Care - This level of care is usually provided if extended stay is needed such as after major surgeries or when recovering from a more extensive illness. Patients who have major surgeries at larger regional hospitals often choose to come home to Floyd County for their Swing Bed rehabilitation. This allows them to be closer to family, friends, and home and reduces some of the stress of recovery. We are proud of our association with Floyd County Medical Center and the reputation we have built together.